Friday, July 18, 2014

Dancing

Hi y'all,

So I used to dance, I do not remember for how long, but I want to say somewhere between 6 and 8 years.  I started out with Jazz and tap, then later on added on clogging and Polynesian, though if only did the Polynesian for a couple of months, I did jazz for all but one year, tap for two or three and clogging from my second year on through my final, it was my favorite, it was fast paced just fun.  Jazz was ok, but I wanted to do like Bbop stuff, but there was not anything like that available here at that time, so I did what I could.  My 4th or 5th year there my jazz class had the dance of the year, the one everyone wanted to be in, Michael Jackson's BAD!!! It was a great dance, we all learned to moonwalk, it was probably one of the ones that I remember best as well! 

I don't think I was ever like the best dancer ever, I think I was probably mediocre at best, but if enjoyed it for the most part.  I quit because I wanted to play sports in middle school, and my dance teacher refused to allow me to do both, so I quit.  I think she thought I would stay if given an ultimatum, but that has never worked for me, if told not to do something, it is usually the first thing I will do! Within reason of course.  But I missed it, and wanted to back, but by then my dad had gotten sick, and we couldn't afford it anymore, so no more dance.  When I was in high school they had a dance class/team, but by then I had sorta given up on it, hell I had pretty much given up on everything, just making it through each day was hell, without having to worry about a ton if extra stuff to do...

It's funny though, because I had never wanted to dance in the beginning, I had wanted to do gymnastics, but I was to tall, and to big boned, so it was not something that my parents would allow me to do, they did not want my confidence to be upset.  But now as an adult I really wish I had stuck with it, I miss it, having that control over my body, and I also miss the fitness level it drive me to strive towards.  But one thing even after many years of public performances I do not miss is the stage fright, I could have been the best in the class, but I always had to start in back because all those people would freeze me, I to this day do not remember how I managed to not run off the stage at every performance, but actually do the dance. I would just desert to my head and let me body do what it had practiced I guess, but you would think after all the years of dance I did I would overcome it, yet I never have, even now when I have to get up and talk to a crowd I freeze up, or just read from a paper so I don't, but that is bad speaking skills, so I freeze up for a second and just hope I do it when a break is necessary, or cover it well, one day maybe.  I hope though that I can go back to dance, it is a part of me in a way I never would have guessed when I was younger, and I want to find it again, I'm tired of missing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment